Addis Ababa University library is the largest and the oldest library which serves not only the AAU, but it is an access and reference place of the country academia. As it’s known, Addis Ababa University is moved towards the expansion of graduate programs and different spatiality studies. The demand towards the reference and reading materials becomes increased and even not to be easily addressable. This is not only in AAU but it is true over the country, as of the country education expansion plan in millions of students are actively attend their education in different universities in the country which require the availability of information resources. Also the research institutions and the industries which highly increased in number has direct relationship with universities. This show the trend will be a fast developed area and the next demand of budget will be require a many times fold as of before.
To create standardized modern library to support the Teaching, Learning and Research activity of the university in particular the country in general.
The main objectives of getting the grant is to:-
- Support the information needs of members of the university and research institutions by creating a potential access point throughout the country.
- Overcome the shortage of reading and reference materials for researchers and students
- Create a link to global knowledge by subscribing to the selective and reputable journals and books to the academia.
- Promote resource sharing; formulate appropriate collection development, and to explore ways of saving costs.
- Improve information literacy among clients and to share training resources and expertise where appropriate.
- Contribute towards the provision of information for the development of the country.
- Enhance the quality of research outcome and to increase the competitive graduates profile in the university and in the country.
- To create a strong and modern library environment, which fully supports the teaching-learning and research activities of AAU in particular and the new higher education institutes in the country
- To get more bench marking experience to modernize and well organized the library to make it one of the most competitive research libraries in Eastern Africa for MA/MSc and PhD fellows.
75 staff gets the training on Digital Tools for researchers, Reference management tools for researchers, Open Science tools for researchers, KOHA, Digital Library and ETD usage for researchers, Article submission in EJOL.
2 librarians visited the Gothenburg University library and present their experience to 22 branch library heads